Commission on Judicial Conduct and Ethics

  How to File a Complaint


The Commission on Judicial Conduct and Ethics receives complaints of alleged judicial misconduct.  The Commission rules require a verified written complaint, or in the absence of a written complaint, an investigatory panel may commence an investigation when it becomes aware of possible judicial misconduct from a source that is deemed to be reasonably reliable.  For your convenience, you may access a downloadable Complaint Form (download fill in the blank form).

Your complaint must clearly identify the judge and the specific nature of your complaint including evidence to support your allegation of judicial misconduct.  You may attach additional pages as necessary.  

Read and sign the verification of complaint form.   The Commission rules require the signed verification form be completed and returned with the complaint form, or any other written complaint, in order to be considered.

The complaint and verification form submitted to the Commission must have an original signature.  No photo copies of your signature will be accepted.  However, any supporting documents included with your complaint should be copies.  The Commission maintains a permanent file for each complaint and is unable to return any documents to you.

The Commission’s procedures provide that if a complaint is filed against a Commission member, that member is excluded from all proceedings and has no knowledge of the complaint while it is being reviewed.  Your complaint will be addressed in exactly the same manner as all complaints filed with the Commission.

The Commission does not have the authority to change a judge’s decision and cannot become involved in any court proceeding.  Your complaint with the Commission is not a substitute for an appeal.  If you wish to appeal a judge’s decision, you should contact an attorney to discuss any right to appeal and related deadlines.  There are no deadlines for complaints filed with the Commission alleging violations of the Code of Judicial Conduct.

The Commission cannot provide legal advice. If you do not have an attorney, the Wyoming State Bar has a lawyer referral service.  Similarly, the Commission does not review complaints against attorneys.  Complaints of that nature should be addressed to Bar Counsel, Board of Professional Responsibility, Wyoming State Bar, P.O. Box 109, Cheyenne, Wyoming 82003.  The phone number for both services is 307-632-9061.

Please return your signed verification form and signed letter of complaint to the Commission on Judicial Conduct and Ethics, P.O. Box 2645, Cheyenne, Wyoming 82003 and mark your envelope PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL.  Should you have any questions regarding this procedure, please contact Wendy Soto, Executive Director, Commission on Judicial Conduct and Ethics at 307-778-7792 or email

Download How to File a Complaint in PDF       Download Complaint Form in PDF